ENGINES AND GEAR BOXES FITTED TO LOTUS CARS [ PRODUCTION AND RACING]
The author acknowledges that this is not the most inspired or original article.
All the information is available in the reference books quoted.
However the real purpose of this article is :
1) To give readers particularly novice and students quick reference
2) To give credit to the other major components that contributed to Lotus success [ Colin Chapman may be more indebted to engine power that was publicised]
3) To examine and list manufacturers so potential exhibits could be sourced in the event the proposed museum finds sponsors and premises and of course publicise the historic and current products of these manufacturers.
4) To demonstrate how and why Colin Chapman outsourced
5) To use these facts as a learning opportunity to young engineers , entrepreneurs and designers
If any of our readers have a specific interest , please ask and we will endeavour to produce a relevant article. If there is any major omissions please contact us so we can update our databases.
Future articles will look at specific engines and their characteristics.
The advantage of using existing / established manufactures.
ü Cost savings [Capital, Premises, tooling, testing, warranty / obligations, spares holding.]
ü Completed product might be more affordable as result
ü Specialisation and focus and refined redeployment of other manufacturers product
ü Benefiting from reputation
ü Flexibility – mix and match
ü Freedom – non dependability
ü Short batch runs equating with model live.
ü Reliability of known product
ü Servicing – existing networks
ü Tuning and after marker – ready supply.
ü Relative affordability – relevant to racing community
ü General simplicity and avoidance of overheads.
ü Symbiotic development and technical exchange with major manufacturer
ü Sponsorship opportunities
ü International choice.
ü Better sales in wide international markets.
- Unit item cost possibly relatively expensive associated with relatively small batch
- Possible ransom opportunity upset sales and production
- Purchase and delivery uncertainty and their impacts
- Possible legal controls and loss warranty again influence sales [other caveats and technical barriers]
- Dilutes manufacturers reputation. Concepts of grand integrity. Also success may be attributed to another source.
- Opportunities for economy of scale and franchise removed
- Possible servicing restrictions, objections warranty issues etc
- Potential for several external engines across model range.
- Potential for gap between engine and chassis capacity and performance
- May complicate sponsorship.
Manufacturers who have used external engines successfully.
- Many of the smaller independents and kit cars.
ENGINE SUPPLIERS/ MANUFACTURERS.
Cosworth [Cosworth –Ford]
Pratt & Whitney
GEARBOX SUPPLIERS / MANUFACTURERES.
The Lotus Book
Coterie Press. 1998
[One f the most used reference books in the A&R library due to the individual listing, specification details and appendix tabulation / database.]
Lotus –All the Cars
Aston Publications 1990
[Used as cross-reference]